Tuesday 1 January 2013

An Emotional Roller Coaster

Well what a month,,,,

It all started off with a fun XC race in the North Mids Leagues at Wollaton Park, where I met up with one of my new RacetimeUSN team mates, Duncan Shea-Simond for a brief chat before the race. With Duncan's past performances duly noted I thought we would be pretty close in the race. After 2 laps of the 3 lap hilly course I could see a shadow slowly catching me, yes it was Duncan, he was just too strong for me on the day and he edged away to take me down by some 17sec..... Albeit I was happy with my 48th placing in a stacked field of 'runners'.

All cleaned up and back in the car to head home I got the sad news that Emily's mum had been taken ill and had been taken in to hospital. I rushed back home and to the hospital to pick up Georgie to give Emily some time with her mum and to wait for her brother to join her that evening.

Sunday was the Nene Valley 10mile road race where I was due to marshall, so Georgie and I headed down there in the morning to give Emily and her brother some quality time with their mum who sadly lost her fight on the Monday morning and slipped away from us. As I'm sure you all would imagine the next couple of weeks were all over the place as we all came to terms with our loss and the emotional roller coaster that comes with any bereavement, Hilda you will be dearly missed.

December 16th saw the third round of our local Frostbite Cross Country League which was at Hinchingbrooke Park. After all the rain that had fallen recently the course was slightly amended due to flooding. Normally this course suits cross trainers due to the mixed terrain and about a mile of tarmac. After a recce of the course on warm up where I could hardly stand up due to the mud, I opted for spikes. I think this was a good move even with the tarmac section. Finished 9th in the end which was my best Frostbite placing, just some pretty sore calves the next day for running on the tarmac.....

December also saw Stamford Tri Clubs Awards Presentation night where in my absence I was delighted to pick up "Male Best Athlete of the Year" and the winner of the "Male Club Championship" which very nicely capped off the year in terms of silverware. Thanks to everyone at the club for their support thoughout the year, cheers guys....


Well now the year is coming to an end its time to start thinking about 2013, how I can improve, how I can go longer, how I can go faster..... 

December, its been a mixed up and emotional month, just getting it done when I can.


Duration (h:m)
Distance  (mile)
TSS
Swim
18:41
30.70
694
Bike
28:06
490.22
1411
Run
13:29
114.69
1165

2012 Totals,

Duration (h:m)
Distance  (mile)
Swim
150:53
265.26

Bike
265:19
4912.18
Run
156:09
1366.67

Happy New Year everyone,,,, and hoping all have a great 2013..
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment