Sunday 24 March 2013

A few more races ....

It has been a busy few weeks of racing and training since my last blog, so here is a quick update.

Stamford Valentine 30k - 17th February 

This was my next build up races for the VLM. I did this race back in 2011 (was canceled in 2012 due to snow) and all I could remember about the course was that it was lumpy so the plan was try and run at my target marathon pace. It was a bright and sunny morning and as the gun went off I found myself soon settling into a nice comfy pace and cruised along on the slightly downhill first few miles. It soon came apparent that my memories of the course were correct, this course is either up hill or down with the only flat section being the football pitch at the finish. I soon found myself moving along just trying to slowly reel in the guys that started too quickly. The half way clock soon came round and with 56:48 showing I was bang on target and it was just a matter of digging deep and hanging on. The last 5k seemed all uphill and with nobody else around it was a lonely run in and hard to keep pushing. Eventually the finish came into sight, but first a lap of the school sports field was needed. I crossed the line in a finishing time of 1:53:33 which was good enough for 9th place. This was my first in my new Sketcher GoRun2 shoes, and I have to say they were awesome, good enough to be my chosen shoe for the VLM and IM France, big thanks to Sketchers and Racetime Events for their continued support. 
Stamford 30k Profile
Dambuster Duathlon (British Champs) 10k-42k-5k - 9th March 

It was a pretty cold and dank morning for raking the P5 for its inaugural race but at least the rain/snow was holding off. With the World Champs being in Canada this year I had decided I would give them a miss this year (long way to go for a 2hr race) so with no pressure of qualifying I was just going to enjoy the race. As soon as the gun went off we all charged off and I very quickly realised Ironman training leaves you a little short of top end speed, as all the fast boys disappeared into the distance. The first run was out and back, so as we approached the turn point we got to see how far you were back, as I saw one of the top runners Alan Murchison zip by I timed myself to the turn point, hoping to be under a minute down, but as the seconds ticked by my heart sank, 1:10! I was going to have to get a move on, on the bike. Into T1, shoes off, helmet on, grabbed my bike, and ran to the mount line and off we go, this was my first race on my new bike and wow, it was so nice to ride. After a winter of fiddling with numerous seats and positions, I think I had cracked it, so off I pedalled on to catch up. The race was in wave starts so by this time you're checking the tail end on the previous wave, although we had no idea who we were actually racing. I was just focused on catching Alan, I had a rough idea where I would need to catch him to stand any chance to holding him off on the second run but as the miles ticked by there was no sign of him. I eventually caught up with him, with 6 miles to go, I know what an awesome runner he is and it was to late, but I monstered on. In to T2, shoes on, and out we went. God, my legs weren't talking to me, I had pushed pretty hard on the bike and they weren't happy, but only 5k I kept telling myself. After about a mile I could hear the sounds of an approaching Alan and as he flew past in full flow the catch was made. I gritted my teeth and pushed on to finished 5th in age group and 16th overall, and in a time of 1:58:44. 
10k down, loving them Sketchers
Cambridge Half Marathon - 10th March

Note to self "when entering a race check diary first"
Another cold morning with the snow lashing down as we drove over to Cambridge, I had every excuse for a poor race at the ready. Once we got to the start area it was freezing, and we huddled up at the rear of an admin tent and contemplated how many layers to wear. We did a quick warm up and my legs felt pretty tired and sore from Saturday's race. The plan was to try and run 80 minutes which would be 6:06min/mi pace, (this is my dream 70.3 pace) as we lined up I found myself on the second row and as the gun went off I sped off at a silly pace just keeping with the flow and not to look like the muppet that pushed his way to the front. The first mile popped up on my Garmin at 5:40, oops! A little quick for fresh legs so I just dropped off the group I was with and eased off, mile two - 5:46, again this was still way too fast but it actual didn't feel to bad and the legs were starting to fire up and I was in a nice rhythm. OK, decision time I either back right off or see how long I can go until I implode. I opted for the latter and pushed on, firstly thinking would I make 5mile, yep - 28:53 then 10k, yep - 35:57 and that was the first of the two laps, and I was feeling surprisingly good, the legs felt very tired still but the old diesel engine was ticking over nicely. The ten mile marker eventually same into sight and as I glanced at my watch and saw 58:08, OMG a 10mile PB at this point I was just waiting for someone to turn the switch off but it never happened and I just motored on, finishing in a new PB of 76:41, fast enough for 18th place on the day....         


The week that followed showed me just how important recovery is and how much racing can take it out of you. I had an easy day on the Monday with a swim and recovery run, then Tuesday I did a roller session on the bike, but by Wednesday I was not feeling good, I was sick in the morning but proceeded to go to the office were I was sick again and was sooooo tired that by lunchtime I decided I had to go home, first sick day in over 10 years, but it was needed. I crawled into bed at 13:00 and slept for 18 hours, boy did I need it! I was back to work Thursday morning but no training, I needed to recover and recover fast as I was off to Nice, France to ride the Ironman course on Saturday. 

IM Recce Trip to Nice - 15th - 17th March.

After a couple of full days of rest I was almost back to normal, and all with bikes packed up I flew off to Nice with Jimmy (@jimmybangle) to ride the IM course and get a feel for the course and what will be expected come race day in June. Well I loved it, the climbs are all very manageable and some nice technical descents, just hoping it's a little warmer on the top and the snow has melted....
   
Nice and Sunny on the way up Col' de l'Ecre
Not so warn on the top
After a relatively light week of training (low intensity) I'm starting to feel my old self again and was looking forward to racing at the Bedford Harrier's Oakley 20 this weekend, but with the snow falling, like most races this weekend it was cancelled, so 20mile on the treadmill had to suffice.

Thanks for reading and cheers for now......

2 comments:

  1. Looks like training has been going well for you. Let's see if I can spot you in London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes mate its going OK at the mo... You racing your supporting to London ?

      Delete